What are your goals on your journey to success? Do goals come to mind when I ask you this question? My intent was to begin with a quote, but I had to lead into the quote with the disclaimer that I was having a difficult time deciding which quote I wanted to use. A vast amount of good quotes on goals are floating around out there. Then, I came across this and it struck me as perfect. Those little a-ha moments are my favorite.
The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals. ~ Melody Beattie
As I’m still riding my new-found excitement and anticipation for this business venture, the goals set in place are allowing my story to unfold. And, lucky for me, I can bounce ideas off of amazing friends and family and make sure my focus remains zeroed in and I accomplish tasks efficiently and effectively. Once the vision comes to fruition, setting an overall goal (or dream) helps you then set the smaller more readily attainable goals along the way to ensure that you reach that dream no matter how far-fetched it may seem.
Here are some tips to make sure you stay on course and do not get discouraged from your main goal:
- Set a realistic timeline. Although we would all like to be overnight successes, in most instances that’s just not going to be the case. And that’s okay. If you think it will take 6 months or a year to reach your goal, then place that as a tentative date. This will set the tone for how quickly and how much work you need to put in to reach that goal realistically. Once you know your steps, you can adjust accordingly if you need to so you don’t discourage yourself and set yourself up for failure.
- Celebrate successes. Big or small. Maybe you reached your weekly goal for new contacts or you finished your product launch ahead of schedule. Each success brings you closer to your overall dream and THAT is something to be extremely proud of – at any time.
- Keep an open mind. You may have that vision, and sometimes it is hard to let go of any detail within that vision. However, if you have a receptive mindset, then you can take feedback – good or bad, and see what may or may not be working to keep moving on your path to success.
- Find your support system. Even though there are situations where individuals have overcome serious obstacles in their way, it is extremely important to have even just ONE person who backs you up and encourages you when you just need that extra little push.
- Remember your why. If you wake up every morning and tell yourself, I’m going to be a success. I am doing this because… I am worth it. You can have a mantra, you can write it on your mirror, or just mentally remind yourself at times. Whatever method you choose, your reason for pursuing that dream, that goal, in the first place will sometimes be the one aspect you have left to cling to and to keep you going. Don’t ever lose sight of that.
Now, keep in mind that I mentioned you can change your timeline. There is no shame in that – sometimes we hit unexpected catches and hiccups along the way. BUT, in no way does that mean to change your end goal or dream you want to reach.
Confucius said, “When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.”